When you’re sitting down at the poker download tables, most poker players will use lingo that you might not be familiar with. I suggest learning the popular poker lingo used so that you can keep up with the conversation at the poker table. You also don’t want players to know that you’re a new player and by not understanding common poker terms you’d be a giving them a huge clue to your experience in poker.
* Bet – To be the first bet made into the pot on any betting round.
* Call – To call the initial bet that has been made by an opponent.
* Fold – To throw your hand away into the muck of cards.
* Raise – Raising is when a player bets at least double the previous bet.
* Ante – An ante is a pre-determined amount of chips every player puts in the pot every hand.
* Draw – A draw is when you need certain cards to make your hand.
* Flop – The flop is the first three PokerStars net community cards revealed which all players can use.
* Check – Checking is a move you can make which requires no bet and you stay in the hand.
* Turn – The turn is the fourth community card which again all players get to use.
* River – The river is the fifth and last Full Tilt Poker.com community card that players can use to improve there hand.
* Freeroll – A freeroll is a tournament with no entry fee, but where you can still win real money.
* Fish – A term used to define a player who isn’t good at poker.
* Cooler – Multiple good poker hands going against each other in an all-in battle.
* Slowroll – To Slowroll your opponent is to suck them into a pot by acting weak.
* Rake – Rake is the term used for how much the poker room takes from every pot.
* Rakeback – Rakeback is the term used for how much the player receives back from there rake.
* Flip – Term used when two players are all-in and both have close to a 50% chance of winning.
* Chip Dumping – Term used to describe cheaters who dump there chips to friends in tournaments.
* Omaha Poker – A poker game where players receive 4 cards and 5 community cards like Holdem.
* Bluff – Betting at the pot with a weak hand in hopes of all your pokerstars opponents fold.
* All-In – All-In is a term used in poker and it means you’re pushing all your chips into one pot.
* Preflop – Preflop is anything that happens in the hand before the flop takes place.
* Position – Your position is relative to how far the dealer button is from your hand.
* Pockets – Pockets is when you have a pair in Texas Holdem with your two hole cards.
* Pocket Rockets – Pocket Rockets is used to describe when you have two aces in your hole cards.
* Pot Limit – A pot limit game means the maximum bet can be equivalent to the size of the pot.
* No Limit – A no limit game means the maximum bet can be any amount.
These are just some of the pocker terms that you need to learn to be able to understand the lingo that players are talking about on the poker tables.